Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Life Lessons from Your Local Bootlegger



Let us change gears here!  The latest youth should be aware you couldn't go but alcoholic drinks without making long trips and only a limited number of cases.  They changed the law in regards to the amount you could by but it didn't male the trip any shorter!  Poppy (my Grandfather) didn't care.  He was the one they counted on in so many neighboring towns.  Maybe it was the fact that Poppy was young and forced on the front lines in WWII on Normandy Beach on D-Day.  Whiskey jugs were hid all over the countryside down in old stumps. If he was thirsty, he knew where they were.  Maybe it is how he coped with war.  I just know when any one of hundreds tell me stories about him now I hear two sentences; these being "I bought a lot of beer off ol' Ralph." and "Nell wouldn't sell it.".  You woke Poppy up after 8:30 pm, especially to charge it, he wouldn't either.  Once it led to a "picket your local bootlegger" strike.  They had signs saying that and picketed until a few minutes later when Poppy shot a sign out of Tom's hand.  To this day, Tom don't care and said he knew he'd have been dead if Poppy wanted him to be.  His children, which includes my mother, and Granny had it rough living with him.  I know that and believe they have let it go now.  I wish they could see him like I always have as 'Poppy's Baby'.  Everyone I speak with about Poppy and Granny both always speak with deep respect, admiration, and affection.  I veraciously learn all I can about where I came from.  I want to know what I am made of so I am confident moving forward.  I have received the same gifts from everyone that Poppy and Granny and my parents got, as I am an heir to this strange inheritance of loyalty.  I make faces like my dad, forget like my mom and sisters, stand my ground like Granny, and take care of business like poppy. Oh, and poppy taught me a mean game of poker and dominoes. I know what people think; they learned those games too, but when your teacher has won thousands in cash and new cars, then you tend to learn not to lose EVER! I needed to know where I came from before I went ahead. I'm only 34 but old school and raised so. I love fresh paper, the smell of new pencils, and the feel of a real book in my hand when i read.   My teenager can't address an envelope and didn't know about stamps. My 8 year old is hooked to electronics the same as the teen. I can't stop advancement but I have the voice to express my disappointment.  My tattoos tell my story of love, loyalty, and faith and family.  My tattoos will never define me.  I will define them, so never assume.  I will forever use the gifts and gratitude I've been given.



No comments: